Settled in the 1840s, the town was platted in 1850 and then incorporated in 1872, becoming the first city in Washington County. The population was 21,083 in the 2010 census, an increase of 19.1% from the 2000 census, 17,708.
Positioned in the Tualatin Valley, Oregon routes 8, and 47 pass through Forest Grove with 47 and 8 as the Tualatin Valley Highway south and east of the main part of the city. Oregon Route 8 signed as Gales Creek Road west of the city, and Oregon Route 47 signed as the Nehalem Highway north of the city.
The most distinctive aspect of the town throughout its history has been Pacific University. Old College Hall, on campus, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places along with 9 other structures in the area. Local employers include the university, as well as Tuality Forest Grove Hospital, and Viasystems.
Forest Grove Movers
The name Forest Grove was chosen on Jan. 10, 1851, it a meeting of the trustees of Tualatin Academy. Tualatin Academy was later changed to Pacific University.
Resident and school trustee J. Quinn Thornton thought of the name, which is the name he used for his homestead. The name referenced a grove of oak trees which still stand on what is now the campus at the university. Earlier post offices in the area were called Tuality Plains and Tualatin, which Forest Grove adopted in December of 1858.
Forest Grove is located on the western edge of the Portland metropolitan area and the Willamette Valley. One of the biggest giant sequoia trees in the state of Oregon can be found in Forest Grove.
There are 10 buildings in the National Register of Historic Places, and an entire eighteen block district know as Clark District, with homes dating as far back as the 1850’s. These houeses include the Alvin T. Smith House,
First Church of Christ, Scientist house, and Old College Hall.
In the 1990s, filming for the television show Nowhere Man took place in Forest Grove several times.