The problem here is that anyone can say “sure I am licensed!” Most people won’t think to ask them to prove it, or know where to look to see if the have authorization to move your things.
- Local Moving Companies must have authority from the state of Oregon to move house hold goods. Here is a link to the states website showing ALL authorized movers. If they’re not on the list they’re NOT authorized and therefore NOT legal.
- Every Moving Company must operate under a published tariff. This is to protect you from frivolous charges. The tariffs make sure Moving Companies are consistent and not adding hidden fees at the end of the move because they want to. Here is our published Tariff 200.
- Every Moving company is required to carry cargo, bailey’s, or inland marine insurance. If a company is operating without insurance, it can be very hard to hold them accountable for damage they may cause. Here is proof of our insurance.
- When arriving on the day of the move, the moving company is required to have a Bill of Lading. This BOL shows their hourly/weight rate, declaration of insurance protection, start and stop times as well as a mandatory receipt. Here is what a BOL looks like and here is our bulletin on household goods moving in Oregon.
- All moving companies are required to run background checks on all of their employees, I post my team online, and you can cross reference with the state to determine if they have been properly screened by PDX Movers and the state.
- Every Moving company is supposed to publish there ODOT Number on every piece of advertising. Our ODOT # is 161428
- If your move is over 50 miles and outside the commercial zone of the Portland/Metro area, your movers should most likely be charging by weight. Your estimate should show what it will cost per 100 lbs. After your move has finished, payment is typically due because they have weighed your items on the way and will know the final price. You should receive TWO weight tickets to prove your weight. The original or tare weight ticket and the re-weight ticket. Your weight tickets must be signed by you before and after the move.