Lake Oswego Movers

Located south of Portland, Lake Oswego is a city within Clackamas County with small portions lengthening into neighboring Multnomah and Washington counties.

The town of Lake Oswego was established in 1847 and assimilated as Oswego in 1910. The hub of Oregon’s short-lived iron industry in the late 19th century was positioned here.  Today it is known as an affluent suburb of Portland.


The Clackamas Indians were once the occupiers of the area that is now Lake Oswego. Tragically though, diseases were transmitted by European discoverers and traders which exterminated most of the natives. Before the Oregon Trail had brought a large inflow of non-natives, the region between the Willamette River and Tualatin River was scarcely inhabited by early pioneer homesteads and farms.

Lake Oswego Movers

The town of Oswego was name after Oswego, New York by Albert Alonzo Durham in 1847.  Albert had built a sawmill on what is now known as Oswego creek.  Originally the creek had a much better name as Sucker Creek.

The federal government removed by force the remaining Clackamas Indians to the Grand Ronde Indian Reservation in 1855.

The majority of trade continued from Portland to Oregon City through the Willamette River, and up the Tualatin River Valley into Tualatin, Scholls, and Hillsboro during this early period in Oregon’s history. The thick woods and rain-muddied roads were major obstacles to traveling by land. The remainders of river landings, ferry stops, and covered bridges of this period can still be seen today in these areas.

Lake Oswego Movers

By 1890, the areas iron industry was a vital part of the area’s economic growth.  Producing 12,305 tons of pig iron at its peak and provided work to around 300 men.  By this time Oswego had four general stores, a bank, two barber shops, two hotels, three churches, nine saloons, a drugstore, and even an opera house, all stimulated by the success of the iron industry.